Keepers Dwelling: Original was similar in style to Point Fermin, Swiss Elizabethan Style or Swiss Carpenter Gothic or Victorian stick, 2 stories in height, with 10 rooms that included gabled roofs, horizontal siding, decorative cross beams and hand carved porch railings, was painted white, with a red roof, while the tower rose from the front 50 feet.
1872, to utilize this canyon Bard had a 1500-foot wharf built at Point Hueneme so goods could be lightered from the coast to ships anchored offshore.
1873 March 3, A sum of $22,000 was allocated by Congress on for a lighthouse to mark the City of Port Hueneme to guide shipping through the Santa Barbara Channel which runs between the California coast and the Channel Islands
1874 November 9,The first entry in the station’s log book reads “I, Samuel Ensign, having been promoted from 1st Assistant Keeper at the light at Pigeon Point, San Mateo County, California, and appointed principal keeper of this station have this day taken charge of Point Hueneme Light Station.”
1874 December 15, Assistant keeper, Mr. Giles and family, arrives from San Francisco aboard the steamer Constantine. With the help of a lampist, the keepers prepared the lighthouse for its inaugural lighting. The Lamp is lit. for the next 14 yrs. a steady white light shone from the tower.
1875 February 11, Keeper Ensign made a subsequent entry in station’s log book reads: “Entered the watch room at 6 a.m. to relieve Mr. Giles who had to go today as witness in a criminal case to San Buenaventura. Found Mr. Giles asleep in watch room and light unattended. Light very low.”
1875 August, Giles receives the position of head keeper at Pigeon Point On another day, He was hampered by another report by Ensign again discovering Giles asleep in the watch room,
1878 August, Ensign is fired from the service for “physical incapacity to discharge the duties of Station Keeper.”
1882 Point Hueneme made a request for a fog signal. A Report of the Lighthouse Board to Congress noted, in regards to Point Hueneme, “It is important that a steam fog signal should be established here. The numerous passenger and other steamers, in going up and down the coast, pass inside Anacapa Island, and very near the coast, which here makes a considerable elbow. The land at this point is quite low, and is so for ten miles inland, so that it is difficult to see if there is any fog.” Congress approved $7,000 for the fog signal.
1889, the signature of the light is changed, it becomes a fixed red.
1892 April 15th , the light is changed to occulting white. The apparatus was a new type devised by Maj D Heap
1899, the tower received a new revolving fourth-order Fresnel lens, which produced a flashing white characteristic. The Fresnel lens was manufactured in France by Barbier & Bernard in 1897 was relocated to the new building in 1941 and is currently in operation.
1922, two giant Sunkist lemon-packing plants were built, Ventura County had steadily increased its agricultural output since the early 1900s.
1925, Building gets electricity
1927, Walter White served at Point Hueneme until 1948. He witnessed many changes at the site.
1934, Electric motor installed on the light
1938 May 5th, it took 15 mins to fully subscribe Bonds for the amount of $1,750,000 to fund the project a deep-sea commercial port.
1939 The U.S. Lighthouse Service merged with the U. S. Coast Guard. The USLHS had constructed and maintained all federal aids to navigation.
1939 January 24, Standard Dredging Company commences work on the harbor. Richard Bard, son of a U.S. Senator, who would become known as the ‘Father of Port Hueneme’, had led an endeavor to get a deep-sea commercial port to Point Hueneme in an effort to expand the market for the county’s goods was honored with turning the first shovel of dirt at the groundbreaking ceremonies which weren't held until February 4th.
1940, the Port of Hueneme was completed. As the entrance to the harbor would be dangerously close to the Point Hueneme Lighthouse the creation of the channel entrance to the harbor required that the lighthouse building to be moved. It was decided to build a new fog signal/lighthouse on the east side of the harbor’s entrance, which the lighthouse building is standing today. It’s style Art Modern. The lantern, lens, and clockworks mechanism were housed in a temporary tower while the new lighthouse was being built.
1940 February 15th and 18th, the old lighthouse is barged from the west side of the harbor’s entrance to the east bank, the move attracted local attention.
1940 July 4, Work on Port Hueneme is complete; it is the only deep water port between Los Angeles and San Francisco.
1941 The light first lit. Keeper White oversaw the replacement of the original lighthouse with The new lighthouse, now interchangeably called the Point Hueneme or Port Hueneme Lighthouse, consists of a 48-foot-tall, square, concrete tower rising from a one story, buff-colored Art Deco style tower on a fog-signal building. The Keepers & families did not reside in this structure. Cottages were built close to the lighthouse. The station was automated.
1942, the US Navy purchased Hueneme Harbor and established the US Construction Battalion Center - "Home of the Seebees." Navy takes control of the port. During WWII more dry cargo would move through the port than any other port in the U.S. After the War the port was returned to civilian operations. The old Lighthouse was purchased for use as a Yacht Club, but razed because of neglect.
1996 On December 7th, the port led the nation in citrus exports, large cargo ships can be seen off-loading a constant stream of overseas automobiles.
2008 March, the City of Port Hueneme and Oxnard Harbor District dedicated a new "Lighthouse Promenade", beginning at the Hueneme Sunset Beach alongside the perimeter fence of the port to the lighthouse. The 1/2 mile stroll is on a flat, even surface and allows visitors a leisurely stroll along the beach.
- "Point Hueneme Lighthouse," Thomas M. Ward, The Keeper's Log, Fall 1992.